Suspender Fashion Tips: No Belts, Dummy! Here’s a suspender fashion tip. Should you or shouldn’t you wear suspenders? Suspenders is not as common as it used to be in the men’s world so its pretty likely that wearing one is not at the top of your fashion choices.
But if you do feel like you want to wear suspenders, never ever ever wear one with a belt unless you want to look like a clueless ridiculous douchebag. Your suspenders and your belt serve the same purpose (i.e., to keep your trousers up) so wearing both of them would be like having both an umbrella and a raincoat to protect yourself from the rain. One is totally unnecessary is what we’re saying. Got it?
UPDATE: Interestingly, here’s a video of a so-called fashion “expert” (from the ridiculous content farm that is ehow.com) who’s advising people on how to wear suspenders and a tie. What’s so funny is that her model is wearing a SUSPENDER and a BELT. We’re not surprised that the video is more disliked rather than liked by Youtubers.
Commenters are also going apeshit over the suspenders + belt faux pas of this “expert” fashionista. Here are some of the comments which we, of course, totally agree with:
- never wear suspenders (supports) with a belt, it defeats the purpose.
- Haha, this video is such a complete and utter fail! “Expert”, yeah right.
- You never, never wear a belt and suspenders at the same time. Also, suspenders should be attached to the trousers by buttons on the inside of the waistband only, not by clip. It damages the trousers and makes you look like a bum.
- These people have no class at all. A banker or lawyer does not look like that, my fair lady. This guy looks and is dressed like a criminal, bouncer, pimp, p***star etc.
- Belts and Suspenders have the same fucking purpose: stop pants from falling down, in a cartoonish fashion; thus having a wardrobe malfunction in the process. Just FYI. :-)
Want more men wearing suspenders?
Suspender Fashion Tips: No Belts, Dummy! Posted 20 June 2010. Last updated: July 6, 2020 at 1:25 am.