Mens Workout Underwear. Here’s a question from reader Bryan T: Your site is becoming more of an underwear site rather than a celebrity site so I might as well ask you this question, “Is there a specific workout underwear for men? Or will your regular briefs or boxers suffice when you are doing any kind of workout whether at the gym or somewhere else?”
Bryan’s question is actually similar to this query on Yahoo! Answers which goes like this:
Workout underwear (male)? Okay so I know that men should be concerned about their you-know-what during workouts (specially when lifting weights). So I was wondering what type of underwear is better for working out men! I’m talking about some cardio, and some light weights (can eventually become heavier) and stuff like that. Between compression shorts, boxer briefs and jock straps which one is better for your b*lls?
During workouts, it is important to keep your family jewels in place. You don’t want ’em flopping around, you don’t want them loose and roaming. So you should get yourself a pair underwear that is snug. Don’t go to a gym free-balling a-la Aaron Schock.
But don’t go to the gym wearing tight underwear either. Remember, your undies should be snug, not tight. Tight underwear is bad for your jewels. They will also make you uncomfortable fast which increases the likelihood of your going fishing down there to ease the discomfort. You don’t want to be doing that unless you want to be branded as a pervert by your fellow gym goers.
The next important trait to look for when it comes to workout underwear is its “breathability”. Workouts are bound to make you sweat but you can minimize this with a breathable underwear which does not trap your body heat and which helps your nether regions perspire.
So are there workout underwear out there in the market which is snug and breathable? We looked around the internets and found this Adidas Climacool:
More about this outfit which you can buy from adidas.com ($20 for a pack of 2):
Keep the heat away from your workout with these men’s micro mesh briefs. Made with climacool® ventilation, they feature flat-stitched seams to help reduce chafing.
- Ventilated climacool® keeps you cool and dry
- Flat-stitched to reduce chafing; Odor resistant: This product has been treated to resist bacterial odors
- Elastic waist with “adidas” print; Allover graphic print
- 92% polyester mesh / 8% elastane
If you want a different style, Adidas has other styles/colors of underwear under its climacool line which you can pick from.
What about the other apparel brands, do they also have workout underwear? Of course they do. Nike has this Nike Pro Combat Core Compression Underwear (available at the nike.com online store for €33).
More about this workout outfit from nike.com:
Made with sweat-wicking stretch fabric and strategically placed mesh panels, the Nike Pro Combat Core Compression 2.0 23cm Men’s Shorts provide premium comfort and ventilation. Contoured seams allow these shorts to deliver enhanced mobility on game-day and during practice.
- Dri-FIT fabric to wick sweat away and help keep you dry and comfortable
- Compression fit for a lightweight, locked-in feel
- Elastic waist with allover screen print for a snug fit and athletic style
- Mesh panels for targeted ventilation and comfort
- Contoured, flat-seam construction for mobility and to minimise chafing
- 23cm inseam based on size medium
- Fabric: Body: Dri-FIT 90% polyester/10% elastane. Mesh: Dri-FIT 91% polyester/9% elastane.
- Machine wash
Meanwhile, Jockey has this Jockey® Microfiber Performance Boxer Brief (available at jockey.com at $24 for a pack of 2):
According to Jockey, the above underwear is made of 80% polyester and 20% spandex. More info:
- get real performance with our microfiber performance boxer brief
- boxer brief’s contoured H-fly provides a no-gap support and a custom fit
- sport underwear’s microfiber fabric wicks away moisture, keeping you cool and dry
- odor control technology allows you to stay confident and comfortable
- men’s sport extends to the top of the thigh
So there you have it fellow UnderwearWatchers. We’re pretty sure there are other performance underwear out there that you can chose from. So shop around. You might also want to check out these padded underwear for men if you are into cycling, equestrian, and other bum-heavy sports activities.